What It's all about!

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving - Thanks for Divine Favours

Thanksgiving Day -

Sitting here just contemplating the word Thanksgiving. It's kind of a funny word if you think about it!!  So the first thankful thought of my day is for Google - I opened my browser and looked up the word - thanksgiving -


World English Dictionary
thanksgiving  (ˈθæŋksˌɡɪvɪŋ, US  θæŋksˈɡɪvɪŋ) 
— n
1.the act of giving thanks
2.a. an expression of thanks to God

b. a public act of religious observance or a celebration in acknowledgment of divine favours

thanksgiving 

1530s, "the giving of thanks," from thanks (n.) + giving. 
The noun thanks is attested from mid-14c., from the verb thank
In thespecific sense of "public celebration acknowledging divine favors"thanksgiving 
dates from 1632 (the first one in America was heldOctober 1621 by Plymouth Colony Pilgrims
in appreciation of assistance frommembers of the Massasoit tribe and celebration of the 
firstharvest); though Thanksgiving Day itself is not attested until 1674.

I wonder how many people actually know the definition is: an expresion of thanks to God and/or a public act of religious observance or a celebration in acknowledgment of divine favors!  

I think most of us get that it is the act of giving thanks!! And really how awesome is that, that we have a national holiday that is completely centered on being thankful.

Today I am thankful for way to many things to list! BUT one of the top: I am thankful for people like all of you - People who have an innate desire to do good, to lift others, to share your blessings and Give!!  Thank you to all of you, YOU enrich my life and give me greater reason for hope and goodness in this beautiful world! 

Above all I am thankful for a loving Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ.

I know They love us, watch over us, guide us and bless us, and that they grant us divine favors!

Happy Thanksgiving and have a great day Giving-Thanks!!

~ Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment